Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Don't Wait to Celebrate

Over the weekend, my sister was surprised with a birthday party in her honor.  When talking through party details with her husband, one comment he made stuck with me: she deserves a party.  This year, it was totally true.


My sister was diagnosed with a congenital heart defect in the fall of 2012 that was treated at the end of last year.  Now she's got a properly wired heart and ready to hit up the marathon circuit again.

As adults, we don't celebrate every birthday with a huge shindig the way we did when we were kids.  Ask most moms what they did on their actual birthday and you'll probably get a list of chores, plus hopefully a nice dinner thrown in.  But on those "significant" birthdays (things ending in 5's and 0's), we might do something a little more note-worthy, something a little more extravagant.  But it seems so arbitrary.


Might I suggest instead not waiting to celebrate at those pre-determined intervals?  Just because Hallmark makes a card specific to individuals turning 50 makes it no more valuable a birthday than those turning 49.

Just as an aside to my beautiful, young, and vibrant sister: This is merely an example, and I am not insinuating that you are 49.  However, to my brother that is 49: you are also beautiful handsome, young, and vibrant.

I'm so grateful my brother-in-law had the insight to throw a party in spite of the fact that this year isn't a nice round number.  This year was an especially great time to celebrate her life.