Friday, December 2, 2011

DIY: Strawberry Shortcake Pinata


I was asked to make a Strawberry Shortcake pinata, and this is what I came up with.  I wanted it to show Strawberry sitting on a strawberry.

Want to make one yourself?  Here are my steps...



1.  Trace a big circle.  Mine was 29 inches.  Then let your toddler break dance on it.


2.  Cut a radius in your circle.  Form your circle into a cone shape.  I secured it with clear packing tape.


                                               

3.  I made strips approximately 8 inches wide and secured them going north-south and east-west.  This made a rounded top, but also had holes.  I find that I make pinatas too hard to destroy, so I thought some weaker spots built in would be okay.


4.  I put in a zip-tie at the top so I could hang the pinata.  Next, I covered the entire strawberry in red tissue paper.


5.  Time to start covering the pinata.  I pleated red crepe paper working outward in a circle.  Elmer's Glue is plenty strong enough.


6.  Here's the whole pinata covered.


7.  I made leaves out of a scrap of cardboard and covered them with green tissue paper.


8.  I covered the leaves with the same pleating method.


9.  To make Strawberry Shortcake, I trace an image I found online.  I made two so that way she would be double-sided.  I sandwiched a piece of cardboard between the two images so she'd be sturdy enough to sit up.  I ended up making L-brackets to help her sit up straigher.


10.  Lastly, I added some seeds.

Some more pictures of the finished product.