Sunday, December 18, 2011

DIY No-sew Ribbon Wreath



I needed a little something for a homemade gift exchange, so I made this ribbon wreath.  I'm whatever level is below novice in sewing, so I made this diy no-sew version.


I started by covering the wreath in ribbon.  I secured the final bit of ribbon with a dressmaker's pin.


I used all of these (each was 3 yards), but a couple of coordinating yards I had at home.  Ribbon ain't cheap, so bring your coupons or wait for a good sale.  I ended up with a lot of ribbon that was narrow (3/8 in) which means you use a lot more of it to fill up the space.  My grand total was 23 yards of ribbons for this one!

Update:  Made a second wreath using the same colors and ornaments.  However, I used primarily 7/8 inch ribbon and used less than half of each spool.  This is a way more cost effective way to fill up the space.  I also recommend getting a couple of spools of ribbon with wire.  They poof nicely and fill up space also. 


I cut the ribbon into 6.5 inch strips.  Then I made a loop.


Press the loop flat.


Add two or three loops per pin.


Using dressmaker's pins, attach the loops to the wreath.  Keep going and going and going.  When inserting pins on the outside of the wreath, keep the length of the pin in mind.  You don't want them poking out of the back.  Instead, insert them at an angle.  

To hang the wreath, I took a longer piece of ribbon and tied it around the wreath.  I secured it with pins and then filled in around it.  


I attached some ornaments with hot glue to fancy it up.